New England Model Horse Collectors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New England Model Horse Collectors

An online forum for New England model horse collectors.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Native American costume reference

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
annescraft

annescraft

Native American costume reference Empty
PostSubject: Native American costume reference   Native American costume reference EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Does anyone know a good website/book/etc for Native American costume reference? I ordered a book but I am not sure how much help it will be (or when it will get here) and I would like to have proper documemtation. I may finish the costume I am working on some day. Today is not that day though
Back to top Go down
http://www.fieldofdolls.com
horsienut

horsienut

PostSubject: Re: Native American costume reference   Native American costume reference EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I don't know if this will help:
http://www.angelfire.com/or/royaleroseranch/costume.html

The Appaloosa horse club of Canada has a detailed rulebook that I excerpted this from a few years ago:

NATIVE DRESS & COSTUME CLASSES – ApHCC RULES
613. GENERAL RULES
There shall be only one horse and one rider permitted per entry.
Exhibitors will not be allowed to use a travois or cart for safety reasons.
Babies or small children must be represented by dolls.
No Pets will be allowed as part of any entry.
Any entry not under sufficient control will be dismissed from the arena and considered disqualified immediately.
Classes should be conducted with dignity, honesty and integrity of impersonation. Any action, gesture or demeaning language will automatically disqualify the entry with loss of entry fee.
Competitors may ride bareback, astride or sidesaddle as fitting the period they are representing.
Classes will be judged on authenticity of trappings and equipment, attire of rider, markings and colorful qualities of the horse and the overall picture and presentation of the entry.
Classes will be worked at the walk and jog only, on the rail, in both directions of the arena. Entries must complete the two required forward gaits in both directions.
There shall be no “work at will” conducted during the class.
Entries may be required to “back-up” at the judge’s request.
Entries will be lined up and must stand quietly while being judged on an individual basis.
Curb chains will be permitted but must be at least one-half inch in width, lie flat against the jaw, and meet with the approval of the judge(s).
Braided leather or rawhide chin straps may be less than one-half inch in the Native Dress Class only, notwithstanding rule #243, provided it is authentic to the era of the presentation.
War-Bridles or Mouth-Ropes may be used, provided that the rider has full control of their horse.
Paintings and markings made on the horse are permitted as enhancement to the authenticity of the overall picture, if the exhibitor is aware of the meaning of the symbols they use.
Horses will not be penalized for having metal horse shoes, having a clipped bridle path, banded mane, trimmed face, ears, and/or legs, nor should they be penalized for having none of the above.
Women/Ladies and Girls/Maidens may not show in Men/Warrior and Boys/Braves Classes and vice versa.
Women/Ladies and Men/Warriors are 19 years of age and over as of January 1st of the current year.
Girls/Maidens and Boys/Braves are 18 years of age and under as of January 1st of the current year, as per the ApHCC

615. PROHIBITED APPOINTMENTS Hackamore Bits or mechanical hackamores, twisted wire mouth pieces, travois, carts, babies, children or pets. Use of Ladies or Girls/Maidens dress or trappings in the Mens/Warriors or Boys/Braves class or vice versa.
616. A. LADIES NATIVE DRESS BASIC Dress should include a dress (either leather or trade cloth), a belt, belt pouch, moccasins, braid decorations, a headband with or without one or two feathers OR a basket hat OR a headscarf, necklace, handbag, a lap robe/blanket, and a quirt. OPTIONAL ITEMS could include an awl case, knife and scabbard on belt, leggings, personal jewelry, ie: rings, earrings, bracelets, etc., baby board with doll. A lady could put red face paint “silver dollar” size on each cheek.
B. MAIDENS NATIVE DRESSBASIC Dress should include a dress (either leather or trade cloth), a belt, a belt pouch, moccasins, braid decorations, a
headband with or without 1 small feather dangling, a lap robe/blanket and a quirt.
OPTIONAL ITEMS could include a doll in baby board – overall combined length not to exceed twenty inches, a purse,
leggings and personal jewelry.

617. A. LADY’S NATIVE DRESS HORSE BASIC TRAPPINGS should include a Women’s frame saddle with a high front and back OR a white man’s stock or cavalry saddle, saddle blanket, bridle or rawhide hackamore, breast collar/horse necklace, saddlebags – cape/apishamore OR parfleches. OPTIONAL TRAPPINGS could include a drinking horn, lance carrying case, furs and/or skins, crupper, mane decoration, mask or other face decoration, gew gaws or leg decorations.
B. MAIDEN’S NATIVE DRESS HORSE
BASIC TRAPPINGS should include a Women’s frame saddle, or a whiteman’s stock or cavalry saddle, saddle blanket,
bridle or rawhide hackamore, breast collar/horse necklace, saddlebags – cape/apishamore OR parfleches.
OPTIONAL TRAPPINGS could include a drinking horn, furs and/or hides, or a crupper.

618. PROHIBITED APPOINTMENTS: LADY’S AND MAIDENS NATIVE DRESS & HORSES Use of any Warrior’s or Brave’s Regalia such as any weapons, strike -a-lite bag, pipe and pipe bags, feather fans, warbonnets, roaches, dance regalia, rattles, flutes, whistles, or drums, war bridle or man’s style frame or pad saddle. Horses must not be painted or wear feathers anywhere. Saddlebags – cape/apishamore should not cover horse’s legs. Maidens may not use any Lady’s Dress such as basket hats or scarves, face paint, dolls with baby boards over 20 inches overall length, lance carrying case, or other adult accoutrements. No ceremonial dance items ie: feather bustles or rattles.
619. A. WARRIORS NATIVE DRESS BASIC REGALIA should include a headdress ie: feather bonnet OR roach OR feather OR fur or animal with or without horns/antlers, etc., braid-ties, hair ornaments, personal medicine bag and jewelry, choker necklace, breechcloth, belt with pouch and knife in scabbard, leggings, quirt, moccasins and face paint. OPTIONAL REGALIA could include a war shirt, breastplate, necklaces, arm bands, beaded wrist cuffs, war club, a shield, tomahawk, keto, bow and arrows in case, rifle, powder horn, shot bag, guantlet gloves, sash, lance, banner, coup-stick, staff, hand drum, pipe-bag and pipe, tobacco bag, strike-a-lite bag, feather fan, flute, whistle, mirror board, drinking horn or robe.
B. BRAVES NATIVE DRESS BASIC REGALIA should include a headband with or without one small dangling feather, braids with ties OR long loose hair, hair ornaments, small medicine bag around neck, breechcloth, belt with pouch and knife in scabbard, moccasins and a quirt. OPTIONAL REGALIA could include a keto and small bow and arrows in a case, beaded cuffs, arm bands, personal jewelry, horsehair or rawhide rope, breastplate, shirt, leggings, flute, whistle, mirror board, drinking horn.

620. A. WARRIOR’S NATIVE DRESS HORSE BASIC TRAPPINGS should include a pad saddle, or a men’s style frame saddle, whiteman’s stock or cavalry saddle and saddle blanket, bridle OR rawhide hackamore OR war bridle, horse necklace/breast collar OR bell collar, an animal hide or fur to sit on ie: wolf, coyote, buffalo or wild cat. OPTIONAL TRAPPINGS could include feather decorations in any or all of the bridle, mane, tail, forelock and/or under the chin; a crupper, a face mask, painted symbols, tail tied up for war, bells OR beaded anklets, a hair rope braided into the mane near withers looping under the neck, a lap robe or blanket.
B. BRAVE’S NATIVE DRESS HORSEBASIC TRAPPINGS should include a hair rope braided into the mane near withers and looping under the neck, bridle OR rawhide hackamore. OPTIONAL TRAPPINGS could include a pad saddle, or a men’s style frame saddle, a whiteman’s stock or cavalry saddle and saddle blanket, horse necklace/breast collar OR bell collar.
621. PROHIBITED APPOINTMENTS: WARRIOR’S & BRAVE’S NATIVE DRESS & HORSES Use of any Lady’s or Maiden’s Dress, such as Lady’s frame saddle, saddlebags-cape/apishamore, saddle purse or bags, female clothing or jewelry, or a baby board. Braves may not use any Warrior’s Regalia such as any weapons of war, warbonnets, feather headdresses, fur or animal headdresses with or without horns/antlers, pipes and pipe bags, lances, banners or coup-sticks, etc. No ceremonial dance items, ie: feather bustles or rattles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/horsienut
annescraft

annescraft

PostSubject: Re: Native American costume reference   Native American costume reference EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks Linda! That is bound to be at least a bit helpful.
Back to top Go down
intothesunstudio

intothesunstudio

PostSubject: Re: Native American costume reference   Native American costume reference EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 7:49 pm

I know if you are doing historical indian costume, deciding which tribe and which breed of horse can play a big part. Google is such a great reference if you know what you are looking to show. Also check your local library. I found some great books at one of ours that I used when making mine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.intothesunstudio.com
annescraft

annescraft

PostSubject: Re: Native American costume reference   Native American costume reference EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 8:12 pm

I decided to make a sioux costume because I like the patterns in my weaving book. I know that is sort of generic and there are many types of sioux but it is a start. I have been searching through google images and have found nearly nothing no matter what search terms I put in. Is there is a secret code that I need, lol?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Native American costume reference   Native American costume reference Empty

Back to top Go down

Native American costume reference
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New England Model Horse Collectors :: Questions and Answers! :: Performance Questions-
Jump to: